02 May 2009

Masculinity

Now that I'm working in a military office, I'm getting more and more tired of the alpha male attitude with problems. I once walked in on an army Sergent banging at the copying machine, threatening to bring in explosives to "fix it". The conversation went like this (Names changed to protect the innocent.)

SGT Turgidson: What this copier needs is some C4 to clear this jam.
Nesuphyn: I think this may be the rare cases in which explosives may not solve the problem.
SGT Turgidson: Son, in my experience explosives can solve any problem.
Nesuphyn: I don't see how that could be the case.
SGT Turgidson: If the copier gets blown up, Xerox will replace it, that's how it worked in the Sandbox.
Nesuphyn: I think I'm going to get some coffee.
(Nesuphyn exit stage left goes to cry into coffee.)

But in all fairness it seems that nerds have their fair share of aggression against technology. Gizmodo led me to this wonderful video on YouTube of a guy stabbing a Mac Air. I'll take a moment to be a racist and point out that this is an affluent white man destroying an $1800 product to prove how much of a sucker he was like his 6 other friends who also bought an $1800 computer.

Whew, OK, I'm better now.

So what's with the rage? (and not just white folks) We are often bombarded with staggeringly oppressive images of violence which is often open linked to being masculine. Yet our day to day lives are mostly quiet and heavily controlled by social norms and civilized affluence. I wonder what that does to the psyche and if that cognitive dissonance causes problems to our ability to be civilized people.
What I find disturbing, is that this use of violence is an excellent marketing tool. Manly men are rough with our toys so we "are forced" to buy better and bigger toys. I use the Sumsung Juke as my cellphone. One of my "manlier" friends sneered at me and said "Wait until the spring breaks". I don't think it need a phone that is piece of solid metal for it to last a few years. I've been using this phone for over a year, and still works fine. I take care of my things, use it for its purpose, and treat it with respect. I know a cellphone is considered a throw away product these days, but I still treat mine as something I shouldn't take for granted. I worry about how we men are convinced what it means to be a man, and at the same time this culture of masculinity just happens to make us better consumers.

No comments: